Discussion Forum

Hypergenesis + City of Solitude

I was wondering if you have out a City of Solitude when you cascade into a Hypergenesis, would your opponents be able to lay down cards being it brings them into "play"?
Posted 08 July 2010 at 00:23

Solitude has been Oracled so that it uses the keyword "Cast". Hypergenesis officially is a specific effect which allows players to "put into play" things from their hand. I'm not sure 100% but I'm willing to say this goes the same was as with Cascade and the two aren't considered the same for these purposes.

If they are however then Solitude takes precedence as afaik things which say you can't do something always overrule things which say you can do something in MTG.
Posted 08 July 2010 at 03:10

I read this reply a few times, but I am still confused...

Are you saying that Hypergenesis would override City of Solitude?
Posted 09 July 2010 at 00:50

IF "Cast" and "Put into play" are considered different things for these purposes, as they are for the Cascade mechanic and others, then yes it would.

If however they are not (or they're both locked by city of solitude) then city of solitude would take precedence.

Both are internally consistent with Magic's rules and valid lines of argument, it's just a matter of which one the judges (or wizards) pick...
Posted 09 July 2010 at 11:33

imho it's a pretty clear cut case, City of Solitude limits casting and abilities...while Hypergenesis letting you put a card into play is an effect from a previously resolved spell.

'cast' and 'put in play' are always purposefully different actions
Posted 09 July 2010 at 13:58

Ok, I was reading just the card itself. I see now on http://gatherer.wizards.com that it has been changed to "Players can cast spells and activate abilities only during their own turns.".

It is very confusing if you read the card, without knowing it was changed from "play" to "cast".

It works the same as the "Emrakul, the Aeons Torn", "Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre", "Kozilek, Butcher of Truth", "Artisan of Kozilek" and so forth, as you do not get the "cast" effect while putting them into "play" with Hypergenesis.

Thank you all for the replies!
Posted 11 July 2010 at 00:02