Discussion Forum

Probably a noob question but need an answer

Simple: Do cards that add a specific mana to your mana pool (Khalni Garden, Halimar Depths, etc.) add just one of that mana or do they add the corresponding land? If they do add the land, is it taken from your deck or is a token used? For instance, if I tapped Sejiri Steppe, would that give another +1/+1 to a creature equipped with Armored Ascension?

Figure I might as well ask another simple question in one thread. When cards like Rite of Replication or Clone are used to create copies of a creature with an ability that triggers on being played, does that ability trigger for each clone. For instance, if I played rite of replication on a Terastodon and kicked it, would it add 5 terastodons and allow me to destroy 15 permanent and put down 15 3/3 tokens? or if I played it and kicked it on Pelakka Wurm, would I gain 35 life?

Thanks in advance.
Posted 01 July 2010 at 14:18

To answer your first question (as i cannot answer your second question as do not know what the cards do (i would suggest usingaround the names)) cards such as Serriji Steepe(spelling?) do not count as a plains unless stated otherwise. Most non-basic lands are like this for future reference, except for the old dual lands, such as Tundra and Underground Sea, both of which state otherwise.
Posted 01 July 2010 at 21:50

No that's not how land works, when you tap a land for mana that's a mana ability of that land that says "T: Add one <mana> to your pool". Whether or not it has a basic land type depends on the cards and anything you have in play, it will say "Plains" on it if it has that basic land type, or it will have that type if given it by another card such as Prismatic Omen.

On number two you get an exact copy of the creature as it is printed on the card. Counters and any other modifying effects will not be copied. Since you are also not Casting the creature but placing a copy into play you don't get to pay the kicker again. If however it has "comes into play" or "enters the battlefield" abilities those will still trigger.
Posted 01 July 2010 at 21:57

Thanks for the replies. So on the mana topic, I am right in just putting down a token such as a generic coin that would be designated as a green mana if I tap Khalni Gardens?
Posted 02 July 2010 at 02:11

no no no, khalni garden IS a land, it gives you mana not extra lands.

as for rite of replication, yes, every copy triggers it's "come-into-play/enter-the-battlefield" abilities
Posted 02 July 2010 at 15:08

[QUOTE=Mattayo]Thanks for the replies. So on the mana topic, I am right in just putting down a token such as a generic coin that would be designated as a green mana if I tap Khalni Gardens?[/QUOTE]

Mana is a non-physical thing, it doesn't exist on the battlefield. It's like your life-total, the only reason you have dice or pebbles or a sheet of paper or even a cellphone app is so you can keep track easier.

I think you're still not getting the fundamental way that the game functions. When you place a land it has a mana ability (the usually isn't written on it) just like a llanowar elf does. You tap that land for either what it says on it or the appropriate mana color if it has a basic land type. That mana then non-physically enters your pool, which itself empties at the appropriate times.
Posted 03 July 2010 at 09:20

I suggest you take out your Rulebook and search the part that says "mana pool".

To cast creatures, you need mana, which you get from land cards. So in your example, you tap Sejiri Steppe. Tapping it lets you add (w) to your mana pool. That means you have one (w) mana to spend on any kind of spell you might wanna play (Elite Vanguard, for example). The mana is the "ingredient" used to fuel the spell. This mana was created when you tapped the Sejiri Steppe. This doesn't mean that you can add extra land cards, this just means that Sejiri Steppe functions as a normal Plains (except that it isn't a normal plains). This will not boost your Armored Ascension, since you don't add a plains land card to the game, but you add white mana to your mana pool.

On your second question:
When you replicate Terastodon, you put 5 cards into play that are copies of it. This means that they all say "when this creature enters the battlefield blah blah blah", and since they come onto the battlefield once Rite of Replication resolves, the ability triggers for each of those copies. This indeed means you can destroy 15 permanents.
Posted 11 July 2010 at 14:13