Discussion Forum

Creature token questions.

Im new to MTG and I had a few questions about how creature tokens work.

1. It was to my understanding that creature tokens, once they are put into play, act just like creature cards and can only be destroyed or removed like a normal creature card could. Is there any other way a creature token can be effected by a card effect that does not pertain to creatures?

2. This question is about a specific card: Wolf-Skull Shaman. If I had 2 or more of this card in the battlefield at the beginning of my upkeep do I just look at the top card of my deck once and if it is an Elf creature put 3 wolf tokens onto the field?

That's all of the questions I can think of at the moment. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 24 June 2010 at 16:02

1. That's correct, the only differences are that a token cannot exist anywhere except the battlefield, so bouncing it back to your hand destroys it. It does however "touch" the graveyard long enough to trigger effects that require a creature to go to a graveyard, even though it ceases to exist right after that.

2. In almost every situation you're going to physically look at the top card once, choose whether to reveal, and if you reveal you put one token for each wolf-skull shaman just because that's most convenient. HOWEVER, legally what's happening is you're looking at the top card once per card with the kinship ability. That's important because what that card is might change depending on what happens in the game, someone might respond at instant speed and mill you for example.
Posted 25 June 2010 at 11:17

There's also this card in the Ravnica block, that kills all non-token creatures. I'd say that answers the last bit of your first question. Also cards like Doubling Season let you put two tokens into play. Finally there's cards that make you sacrifice non-token creatures specifically. Those are the only effects I know of that interact with tokens specifically... There's no rule that says Tokens should be treated differently from Creatures, except for the fact that they have no converted mana cost.
Posted 25 June 2010 at 11:32

Think of "token" as being a creature type, and everything else has the stats it's given. Tap an Imperious Perfect and you get a 0 cost Green Elf Warrior Token Creature.
Posted 25 June 2010 at 13:01

I wouldn't call it a creature type, I would call it a card type, as in "Creature Token - Elf Warrior".
Posted 25 June 2010 at 16:32

this is another question in regards to tokens, now for the eldrazi spawn, once you sacrafice them for the mana, is that mana permanent or is it a one time deal?
Posted 25 June 2010 at 16:40

It's a one time deal, you sacrifice the token for 1 mana then you have to use it before your mana pool empties at the end of the current phase.
Posted 25 June 2010 at 17:02