Discussion Forum

Dealing with sacrifices

What it says on the tin, anybody know any legal ways of dealing with the dreaded words "I sac in response"? Particularly for such meddlesome fiends as the Child of Alara when someone has a sac outlet.
Posted 24 February 2010 at 11:16

can you be more specific? If someone has ways to sac stuff to like a suspended greater gargadon and he responds to something by sacking, then what is so special about that? I've never run into anything confusing so far.
Posted 24 February 2010 at 12:20

you can't stop it, mwahahaha.
Posted 24 February 2010 at 18:35

[QUOTE=Seth]can you be more specific? If someone has ways to sac stuff to like a suspended greater gargadon and he responds to something by sacking, then what is so special about that? I've never run into anything confusing so far.[/QUOTE]

What's so special is sometimes you REALLY don't want something going to the graveyard.
Posted 25 February 2010 at 02:27

[QUOTE=Shadowex3]What's so special is sometimes you REALLY don't want something going to the graveyard.[/QUOTE]

ha, you noticed :) LOL .... once upon a time there was kokusho, then followed reveillark....
Posted 25 February 2010 at 17:29

[quote=Shadowex3]What's so special is sometimes you REALLY don't want something going to the graveyard.[/quote]

There is always graveyard hate:

Leyline of the Void
Tormod's Crypt
Relic of Progenitus
Planar Void being my Favorite
Posted 25 February 2010 at 23:54

Graveyard hate doesn't prevent something from going to the graveyard and activating abilities when it does it. Child of Alara still wipes the field, the Reveillark/Karmic/Magus combo and the whole family using the first two will still go off...
Posted 26 February 2010 at 05:57

[QUOTE=Shadowex3]Graveyard hate doesn't prevent something from going to the graveyard and activating abilities when it does it. Child of Alara still wipes the field, the Reveillark/Karmic/Magus combo and the whole family using the first two will still go off...[/QUOTE]

they will go off but removing their targets in response is very effective. In our group Nezumi Graverobber, Stonecloaker, Necrogenesis are cards that see a lot of play because of that. Also removing an entire graveyard shuts down reveillark easily enough.
Child of Alara should not be a problem, just don't play a deck that goes all or nothing, you should always hold cards in reserve to survive a sweep.
Posted 27 February 2010 at 09:12

[quote=Seth]they will go off but removing their targets in response is very effective. In our group Nezumi Graverobber, Stonecloaker, Necrogenesis are cards that see a lot of play because of that. Also removing an entire graveyard shuts down reveillark easily enough.
Child of Alara should not be a problem, just don't play a deck that goes all or nothing, you should always hold cards in reserve to survive a sweep.[/quote]

Thank you. Anyway, I was just coming from a more broad and general spectrum. I was talking about cards going to the Graveyard in general, not any particular situations.
Posted 28 February 2010 at 17:20

[quote=Shadowex3]Graveyard hate doesn't prevent something from going to the graveyard and activating abilities when it does it. Child of Alara still wipes the field, the Reveillark/Karmic/Magus combo and the whole family using the first two will still go off...[/quote]

Actually, you are wrong about Child of Alara. Leyline of the Void replaces the Graveyard with immediantly Exiling the card and never letting it touch the Graveyard.
Posted 28 February 2010 at 17:23

i believe this is the answer you are looking for:
There is no way to deal with a sac in response because a sac is the fastest thing in Magic as far as the rules are concerned. the creature hits the graveyard before anything else happens, there is however a way to stop the ability of certain cards by using leyline of the void and other cards that make it so there is no graveyard for the cards to go to. However these cards still wont stop cards whose abilities are triggered for when they leave play, because they don't need to hit the graveyard to activate.
-BUT-
if an ability is what is causing the sac you can Stifle or Trickbind it. you can also use trickbind and stifle to stop the cards ability when it hits the graveyard or leaves play.
Posted 28 February 2010 at 23:52