Discussion Forum

target nonland permanents

Hello gents,

are target non land permanents also artifacts and everything beside land that stays on the battlefield`?
Posted 16 February 2010 at 11:57

yes, and please just put all your questions in one post. this forum doesn't allow us to just answer yes.

--edit--

actually your question is confusing. a permanent is not an artifact but an artifact is a permanent if you know what I mean.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 12:22

Hello Seth,

Ok, will sum all my questions up.

the reason i am asking the question below is for http://magiccards.info/dvd/en/20.html Faith's Fetters. Can i enchant also artifacts or other enchantments with it?

I am wondering why player prefer Faith´s fetters over Prison Term. Just for the 4 life?

Regards
Posted 16 February 2010 at 15:05

Faith's fetters is great, you can shut down any kind of permanent with an activated ability like planeswalkers for instance and you gain 4 life which buys your own deck time to win.

If your group only plays land and creatures prison term migth be better
Posted 16 February 2010 at 15:14

hello seth,

just to be sure we are on the same page. with faith´s fetter i can also shut down artifacts or enchanments if they have activated abilities?

also, would you play path to exile? i am afraid that early in the game my opponent may gain advantage by extra land. later in the game i would not mind too much.
path to exile might work with gift of estates where i give my opponent a land but can draw up to 3 land as well.

alternatively to path of exile i thought about Reciprocate. What do you think?
Posted 16 February 2010 at 16:00

Path is good. Really good. One mana instant that takes care of a problem creature is very very good. If you're burning your limited removal early game, you probably shouldn't, unless it's a huge threat. You should be saving your Paths for stuff like Baneslayer Angel and her ilk.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 16:43

Path can be good and can be bad, I put it in because it was the first thing on my mind when playing white and most new players have access to it. But as you say an extra land can be a big deal. Old school versions of path are Swords to plowshares (still the best removal in the game) and the less powerful Condemn.

There are plenty of other options that simply cost more mana but are good as well. If you feel like you can play these in your group then do so. I for instance love Resounding Silence, it's fantastic in multiplayer games.
To remove something from the game is more powerful then destroying it for all sorts of reasons. Other path to exile like spells include Crib Swap, Devouring Light and Unmake.
Just test out what fits your deck. Try to take the mana cost of spells into account when building a deck. For instance if every spell in your deck costs 3 mana you won't be able to play anything on turn 1 and 2 and once turn 3 hits you won't know what to play first. That's mainly what makes path to exile and swords to plowshares so good, you can play them and still play something else as well. Just try to spread the mana cost of spells as much as possible (what they call mana curve. Maybe Loki can write an article about this someday ;) )

cheers
Posted 16 February 2010 at 18:45

cheers guys,

i still have awe strike. based on your comments it seems i should switch that one for a removal, right?

i created my deck here http://www.mtgvault.com/EditDeck.aspx?DeckID=44457 in case you wanna check it out. would appreciate it
Posted 16 February 2010 at 20:24

Well, guess I don't have to wait for PT: San Diego for my next article. Mana Curve it is! Yay theory and terrible sleep schedules.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 20:31

talking about it, is anyone of you going to GDC in SanFrancisico or E3?

i ll be there as well.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 20:45

E3's open to the public again? I'm going to San Diego this weekend, if that counts.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 21:00

i "must" go due to my job but the exhibition is open to the public again. since last year. the last 2 days of the exhibition.

was a great show. enjoyed playing the latest games - although far too many sing stars and stuff - and meeting friends.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 21:06

blast, I'm working those days. 'fraid not then.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 21:08

the deck links you post are not working, they are pointing to restricted decks only you can access. If you don't understand how to create a link to your deck ask one of the mods.

cheers
Posted 16 February 2010 at 21:25

should work now

Storm over the Araba (main deck) http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=44457
Takeno Samurai Deck http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=44313
Posted 17 February 2010 at 10:26