Discussion Forum

Nessa Reveane's abilities

Just looking around at new cards and I've seen a few that have abilities that look like hers

+1: Search your library for a card named Nissa's Chosen and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
+1: You gain 2 life for each Elf you control.
-7: Search your library for any number of Elf creature cards and put them onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

My question comes from the +1 and -7 abilities, is this is in reference to life? How does it work? Sorry for asking a simple question, I was thinking of including her in an Elf deck, but wasn't sure how she worked (and I just realized I misspelled her name in the title).
Posted 15 February 2010 at 23:46

http://magiccards.info/scans/en/zen/170.jpg

So her (and the rest of the planeswalkers) have a loyalty counter, which is the bottom right hand corner number. She's a two.

So once you cast her and she's on the field, she has a 2 counter. With her abilities, you add or subtract that many loyalty counters.

Check out this article regarding Nissa - http://www.helium.com/items/1587815-magic-the-gathering-card-analysis-nissa-revane
Posted 15 February 2010 at 23:58

Thanks I looked over the link, and it's got a great point about needing to get her out early. How do the counters work? Does she get one during each up keep? How do the negative and positive work? I guess to use her 3rd ability you take off 7. Soo - do you add a counter during your upkeep and when do you can play one of her top two abilities? Sorry it's not very clear.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 00:04

You can only use her (planeswalker) abilities once per turn - including the one you put her in (no summoning sickness in that sense). This is not during your upkeep, but rather your entire turn. For example, Garruk, you can use him after you tapped some land for mana, the used Garruk to untap two forests, then tap the two forests for more mana to use to put out a huge creature or spell!

+1 you add 1 to her loyalty counter.
-7 you subtract 7 from her loyalty counter.

So for her -7 ability, you have to keep adding +1 counters until you have enough to use it. So you can't use the -7 if you have 6 or less counters.

So that's also the tricky part. Using the ultimate abilities are hard to get off sometimes, because once a planeswalker is out on the field they become high priority targets.
Posted 16 February 2010 at 00:12

Also, planeswalkers can be attacked like players, they can have direct damage redirected to them by the controller of the damage, and they die if they have no loyalty counters on them. Damage removes loyalty counters.
Posted 22 February 2010 at 21:22