Discussion Forum

beginenr questions

hello ladies and gentlemen,

some questions

1. Ivory Mask http://magiccards.info/8e/en/27.html
- if i play with a samurai deck, will my samurai still boost each other?
- will i gain life from soul warden?
- can i cast spells on my own creatures?

2. thornbite staff http://magiccards.info/mt/en/145.html
- do i have to pay 2 many for ""Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, untap this creature."

can i combine thornbite staff + kiki jiki + mogg fanatic to do infinte damage?
1.1 mogg fanatic is in game already
2.play thornbite staff
3.play kiki jiki
4.attach thornbite to kiki
5.tap kiki and clone mogg fanatic
6.sacrifice a mogg fanatic - deal 1 demage
7.now thornbiteĀ“s effect should trigger "Whenever a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, untap this creature." WITHOUT me paying mana(?)
8.untapped kiki clones the remaing mogg fanatic
9.sacrifice mogg fanatic and so on ...

possible?

many thanks in advance for your time.

regards
Posted 14 February 2010 at 22:47

Ivory mask shields YOU the Player from everything that says "Target Player" on it. State based effects still affect you, lifelink and direct lifegain still works, it does not protect your creatures at all.

No, that's in a seperate clause so the untap is free. You only need to pay when you tap it.

I believe that would work. As long as you have mana to pay for everything the rules sounds like it works and I've heard of a lot of similar infinite loops with kiki. You're still only a path, bolt, or clone from kiki Going Away though.
Posted 14 February 2010 at 23:22

thank you shadow.

so i gain life from soul warden but if i want to cast a spell on me, this would not work since i can not be the target of my own spells as well, right?
Posted 14 February 2010 at 23:39

Yes, exactly. Shroud prevents anything that says "Target" in it from... well... targetting. That's why cards like Privileged Position are so WooHoo, they allow you to do your stuff but prevent the other guys from doing anything (called one way shroud).

Soul warden doesn't target anything, it just says "When X happens you gain Y life".
Posted 14 February 2010 at 23:45

The Thornbite Kiki-Jiki thing works. I still like the Pestermite combo better though.
Posted 15 February 2010 at 15:25

[QUOTE=NightLoki]The Thornbite Kiki-Jiki thing works. I still like the Pestermite combo better though.[/QUOTE]

how does it work if i may ask
Posted 15 February 2010 at 15:46

the pestermite kiki-jiki? ok, you have pestermite and kiki-jiki in play. Target pestermite with kiki-jiki ability, new pestermite. New Pestermite's ETB Ability triggers, and you target kiki-jiki with it. Kiki-jiki untaps. Go infinite, and bash with a million 1/1 hasty fliers.
Posted 15 February 2010 at 15:59

good idea but i play with red and white for the moment. working on a life gain deck now.

thanks everyone for the support and comments.
Posted 15 February 2010 at 18:55